As fiscal year 2020 draws to a close, the Research, Development, Test & Evaluation (RDT&E) and Innovation Program is already looking to the future. The RDT&E and Innovation Program is asking you – all military, civilian, reserve, auxiliary and contract personnel – to submit research ideas for the FY22 RDT&E Project Portfolio. Ideas, lessons learned, or suggested best practices are due Sept. 11, 2020. We invite you to submit your ideas to the CG_Ideas@Work, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
While RDT&E is open to any and all suggestions from the USCG workforce, Coast Guard Senior Leadership has identified the following research priorities for FY22.
- Grow Advanced Computing Capabilities. Are you are interested in technology as it relates to the Coast Guard’s mission? Please submit your innovation idea regarding this priority. Questions to consider include, “How can we apply artificial intelligence, machine learning and advanced analytics to manage risk and make decisions based on data?”
- Continued Development of Mobile Solutions. Are you determined to ensure Coast Guard mission excellence is delivered anytime, anywhere – anywhere you can bring a cellphone that is? Please submit an innovation idea regarding this priority. Questions to consider include, “What mobile-enhanced tools can we provide to our members to improve the Coast Guard’s operational impact and mission support delivery?”
- Utilize Autonomous Systems to Address Complex Maritime Challenges. Do you spend a lot of time at sea considering the implications of autonomous systems on the safety, effectiveness and overall efficiency of Coast Guard operations? Please submit your innovation idea regarding this priority. Questions to consider include, “How can we integrate unmanned aerial systems (UAS), unmanned surface vehicles (USV) and unmanned underwater vehicles (UUV) to improve operational safety, effectiveness and efficiency?”
- Strengthen Resilience, Safety, and Security of Coast Guard systems and personnel. Are you someone with big ideas on ways to keep your fellow Coast Guard members safe? Please submit your innovation idea regarding this priority. Questions to consider include, “What tools or ways of doing business can improve our members’ safety and security and position the Coast Guard to take on complex and difficult to predict challenges like COVID-19 and emerging cyber threats?”
- Develop Human Machine Teaming to Maximize Readiness. Are you someone who thinks the relationship between humans and machines can be strengthened to maximize readiness? Please submit your innovation idea regarding this priority. Questions to consider include, “How can we manage the relationship between our people and automated systems in a way that maximizes the capabilities of humans and machines while guarding against complacency and the loss of key skills?”
- Enhance C5I Capabilities. Are you someone with a knowledge of cyber innovations who can see what C5I Service Center (C5ISC) might need in the future to stay Semper Paratus? Please submit your innovation idea regarding this priority. Questions to consider include, “What command, control, communications, computers, cyber and intelligence capabilities can we put in the field to make the Coast Guard more ready and more agile?”
While these areas have been designated as research priorities, all submissions (that could potentially become research projects in FY22) are welcome and will be reviewed. As seen on the RDT&E and Innovation Program webpages, the team is hard at work making workforce ideas realities, managing more than 30 projects, at any given time, that support requirements across all mission areas. Now is your opportunity to see your idea come to life! Submit your idea to the RDT&E and Innovation Program no later than Friday, Sept 11, 2020: https://cg-ideasatwork.ideascalegov.com/a/ideas/recent/campaigns/1078.
Have an idea, but you’re struggling to get it to the RDT&E and Innovation Program? If you do not yet have a CG_Ideas@Work account, you can easily register using your “.mil” email address to access the platform from any personal or Coast Guard device. If you are unable to access the idea submission form, please submit your idea via email to: email@example.com including your idea title, a short summary and your contact information.
ALCOAST 321/20 – Solicitation for Research Development Test and Evaluation (RDT&E) Ideas.
Submit Your Ideas for COVID-Specific Research Projects Today