Sept. 12, 2020 —
The Coast Guard just announced monetary and non-monetary incentives designed to recruit and retain skilled members in the Coast Guard’s most mission-critical areas. The announcements cover officers and enlisted members and will be implemented in fiscal year 2021 (FY21).
There are a number of incentives that reward sea service including an increase to the base amount of sea pay for the first time in 20 years and points toward advancement for certain assignments.
“Increasing sea pay was a big win for the afloat community,” said Cmdr. Laura Moose, who chaired the FY21 Workforce Planning Team with Mr. Craig Swirbliss. “We're a seagoing service, and as we are growing our cutter fleet we need to ensure we recognize the value of sea service to the Coast Guard and the nation. We recognize that it is arduous, and has an impact on families.”
Members are encouraged to become familiar with the new incentives, as there are many updates to previous interventions as well as entirely new programs. First-time incentives this year include assignment pay for both ashore and afloat executive petty officers and engineering petty officers. Also, enlisted members can now re-enlist at any point during the fiscal year starting Oct. 1 the year their enlistment contract expires - including being eligible for a Selective Re-enlistment Bonus if available.
The messages announcing all the initiatives are listed below. All members are encouraged to check them out.
- Individual members with questions about this policy should contact their designated command representatives.
- Command questions regarding EWPT policies can be directed to Office of Military Personnel Policy (CG-133) at: HQS-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil.
- ALCOAST 334/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS – OFFICER INTERVENTIONS
- ALCOAST 335/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS – APPROVED ENLISTED POLICY CHANGES
- ACN 101/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS - ENLISTED INTERVENTIONS
- ACN 102/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS – OVERVIEW
- ACN 103/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS – NAVAL ENGINEER OFFICER INTERVENTION
- ACN 104/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS – CYB10/CYBER OFFICER INTERVENTIONS
- ACN 105/20 - FY21 WORKFORCE PLANNING TEAM RESULTS – AFLOAT OFFICER INTERVENTIONS