Sept. 17, 2020 —
It is that time of year again for selected reserves (SELRES) members and commands to be aware of key deadlines when scheduling active duty for training (ADT) in fiscal year 2021 (FY21).
Members may complete ADT throughout FY21 between the dates of Oct. 1, 2020 to Sept. 30, 202, if the requested ADT has been approved and scheduled in Direct Access (DA) by the established deadline listed below:
- Oct. 1, 2020: SELRES members may request ADT-AT orders in Direct Access. District (dxr)/PAC-13 staff may begin to execute once FY21 funds are allocated from COMDT (CG-R82).
- May 2, 2021: Deadline for SELRES members to request ADT-AT orders in Direct Access. SELRES members who miss the May 1, 2021, deadline risk not meeting satisfactory participation standards outlined in Chapter 4.B of the Reserve Policy Manual, COMDTINST M1001.28 (series) and may only schedule ADT with approval from their district (dxr)/PAC-13, that must only be approved if funding is available.
- July 30, 2021: Deadline for district (dxr)/PAC-13 to approve and obligate funding for ADT-AT orders for the remainder of the fiscal year. District (dxr)/PAC-13 staff may require earlier timelines. Deadline for district (dxr)/PAC-13 to obligate funding for all remaining AFC-90 SELRES management activities (IDT berthing and ADOS-RC).
- Aug. 9, 2021: Office of Reserve Resource Management, COMDT (CG-R82) will begin to sweep and re-obligate any unobligated district (dxr)/PAC-13 AFC-90 funds.
The scheduling deadlines are intended to promote unit-level planning that supports both operational and financial management needs, and to ensure requested orders are funded to avoid issues such as a delay in orders or delay in pay.
Members and commands should also keep in mind the following polices for fiscal year 2021:
- Active Duty Training – Other Training Duty (ADT-OTD) policy
- FY21 Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT) policy
- FY21 Active Duty Training – Annual Training (ADT-AT) policy
The accurate and timely management of ADT orders is a command and District Reserve Force Readiness Branch (dxr) / PAC-13 responsibility. Senior reserve officers (SROs), senior enlisted reserve advisors (SERAs), and supervisors of SELRES members are highly encouraged to read the Reserve Activities User Guides as they are helpful materials when managing ADT orders.
All ADT orders should be scheduled in Direct Access by May 1, 2021 and active duty orders must be generated in writing, in advance of SELRES members reporting for duty. Orders should be issued at least 30 days before the scheduled duty to allow SELRES members time to provide notification to civilian employers and family members.
Supervisors of SELRES members must ensure submission of ADT travel claims within three business days of ADT order completion. Allocating time for SELRES members to complete travel claims on the last day of the ADT period is highly encouraged. SELRES members are also encouraged to submit completed travel claims in TPAX prior to departing their units.
The Resource Management Division (CG-R82) will continue to monitor reserve training travel ceiling and policy limiting discretionary travel as established in Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and travel guidance. Travel is authorized for readiness training, formal schools, and travel associated with scheduled qualification and certification training.
Members and commands should remain aware that ADT orders scheduled prior to the May 1, 2021 deadline may be rescheduled in Direct Access subject to approval by the district (dxr)/PAC-13 and must only be approved if funding is available.
A ready Reserve Component (RC) is key to strengthening national preparedness, resilience, and maintaining the Coast Guard's relevance and ability to respond to contingencies. It requires leadership to create an environment that enables reservists’ competency attainment.
Commands and supervisors should forecast unit training plans and link them to ADT schedules well in advance to maximize SELRES training opportunities and resulting competency attainment.
For additional information, please reference ALCOAST 345/20.