Federal employees throughout the U.S. Coast Guard work hard for the good of the public we serve. In order to achieve our mission more effectively, it is important that we hear our employees’ feedback.
On Sept. 24, 2020, the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) released the 2020 Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey (FEVS) to all eligible Department of Homeland Security (DHS) employees. We encourage every eligible Coast Guard civilian employee to provide us with your valuable feedback so that we can continue to make the Coast Guard a better place to work.
For purposes of the survey, eligible employees include permanently employed, non-political, non-seasonal, full-time or part-time employees, onboard with USCG as of October 26, 2019. This year the survey will feel slightly different. There are fewer core survey questions and there are new COVID-19 specific questions.
Eligible Coast Guard civilian employees with a valid email address received an email from EVHS@opm.gov and the subject line will read “The 2020 OPM FEVS: Empowering Employees. Inspiring Change.” You will also receive reminders to take the survey before it closes Nov. 5, 2020.
Based on previous FEVS results, Coast Guard leadership has implemented several improvements over the past few years to include:
- Released the Coast Guard 2019-2023 Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan;
- Trained Diversity & Inclusion change agents;
- Focused on innovation and process improvement with the CG Ideas @ Work campaign;
- Improved communication to leaders and managers about FEVS results including tools for analysis and action plan development;
- Established the Civilian Career Management Team (CCMT) to focus on civilian development opportunities;
- Enhanced the civilian onboarding process making it virtual;
- Expanded virtual training for supervisors on various civilian HR topics;
- Launched MyCG, an easy-to-use news site for the Coast Guard workforce and our families.
Also as a result of past surveys, a Rotational Assignment Program Commandant Instruction is expected soon.
Your voice matters. The FEVS data is used for DHS and government-wide bench-marking, Best Places to Work rankings, and OMB/OPM/DHS initiatives
It is important that we have your input to support your workplace now and into the future. The survey is open through Nov. 5, 2020.
Survey responses are anonymous and submitted directly to OPM. You are authorized 30 minutes work time to complete this survey, and you may also take the survey on a mobile device or forward it to a personal email address. The first step to improvement begins with your feedback. Let your voice be heard.