TRICARE Open Season begins today and lasts through Dec. 14. Any enrollment changes you make will go into effect Jan. 1, 2021.
Here are the top four things you need to know:
- What Is Open Season?
- During this time members or beneficiaries are able to enroll in new health plan coverage through TRICARE or dental and vision plans through FEDVIP.
- TRICARE Open Season and Federal Benefits Open Season occur at the same time: Nov. 9 – Dec. 14.
- Changes in Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program, or FEDVIP (https://www.benefeds.com/)
- Check Your TRICARE Eligibility
- Ensure you show as eligible for TRICARE in DEERS and that your information is updated. This will enable you to enroll in a health plan and access your TRICARE benefit.
- Check Your TRICARE Plan and Learn about any TRICARE Changes
- Know which plan you have. If you are an active duty member you must remain in the TRICARE Prime plan.
- Depending on where you live, and your beneficiary status, you may have many coverage options. Use Open Season to become educated on any TRICARE changes for which you need to take action like TRICARE Select enrollment fees for Group A retirees.
- Not sure which TRICARE plan you have? Log in to milConnect to access your Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) record to verify your plan and enrollment status.
- If you want to keep the plan you have, you don’t need to re-enroll. You’ll continue in your current health plan through 2021 or as long as you’re eligible.
- If you or your sponsor’s initial enlistment or appointment occurred before January 1, 2018, you are in Group A. If you’re a retiree enrolled in TRICARE Select, you’ll have to take action. Visit the TRICARE Select Enrollment Fees page to learn more.
- Open Season Does Not Apply to:
- TRICARE For Life (TFL) because coverage is automatic if you have Medicare Part A and Part B.
- Premium-based plans. You can purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve, TRICARE Reserve Select, or TRICARE Young Adult at any time.
Visit their website to learn more information on Open Season and to compare TRICARE health plans.