Feb. 25, 2021 —
Senior officers and executive civilians based in Washington, DC are encouraged to apply to Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Seminar XXI: Educating National Security Leaders program.
Seminar XXI is a prestigious educational program for a cohort of military officers, government officials, and industry executives in the national security and foreign policy communities. Administered by MIT’s Center for International Studies, the program is intended to equip rising military officials and civilian executives with the skills needed to shape effective national security policy.
MIT Seminar XXI meets approximately once a month from September through May, for a total of five evening sessions in Washington, D.C., and three weekend sessions in Warrenton, Virginia. During sessions, faculty members present their topic areas and then open discussion. Weekend sessions include breakout groups that enable smaller-scale, focused conversation. Fellows from varied work backgrounds are intentionally assigned to groups to facilitate cross-pollination of ideas.
Submit your application package to the Senior Education and Fellowship Program by March 15, 2021.
Applications should include:
- A single page letter of recommendation, in memorandum form, from the first flag officer or equivalent in their chain of command addressed to "MIT Seminar XXI Selection Panel;
- 2021-2022 Seminar XXI Admission Form D;
- The “AY2021 MIT Seminar XXI Application Questionnaire” saved in PDF form;
- A single page resume (without photo, applicant’s format choice, no template provided).
- Four Coast Guard nominees will be recommended for consideration to MIT in April of 2021, with a final notification by mid-summer.
The Coast Guard has participated in the MIT program since 1991.
Questions about the program or application process can be directed to Lt. Cmdr. Daniel Cathell, Office of Governmental and Public Affairs, COMDT (CG-092).
- To learn more about the program, alumni or application, visit the USCG Seminar XXI portal page
- MIT XXI brochure
- Seminar XXI website
- Solicitation for Applications for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Seminar XXI Program ALCOAST 068/21