April 13, 2021 —
Nominations are being accepted for the 2021 Blacks In Government (BIG) Meritorious Service Award. The BIG Meritorious Service Award recognizes personnel whose attributes best epitomize the Coast Guard Core Values of Honor, Respect, and Devotion to Duty. The award is open to all Coast Guard military members and civilian employees for the performance period of April 2020 to April 2021.
Nominations should include a narrative describing the nominee’s accomplishments including:
- Demonstrated support for the full integration and promotion of African Americans within the armed forces or federal civilian workforce.
- Significantly increased the opportunity for participation of Historically Black Colleges and Universities in federal programs.
- Distinguished themselves by promoting the tenets of civil/human rights, equal opportunity, human relations, and/or public service.
- Displayed exceptional character that distinguishes an individual as an outstanding leader, role model, or mentor by promoting the development or advancement of all personnel, including women and minorities.
- Contributed to equal opportunity for advancement based on merit and fitness for all members of the armed services and civilians, including women and minorities.
- Believed in and practiced the tenets of a democratic society, including the belief that all people are created equal, and that freedom is a right that must be protected at all times.
- Assisted in overcoming discrimination and eliminating barriers that hinder equal opportunity for all members of the armed services and civilian employees, including women and minorities.
- Supported the full integration and promotion of all personnel, to include women and minorities, within the armed services and civilian workforce.
- Created opportunities that support and contribute to the mentorship, development, advancement or retention of all personnel, including women and minorities, in government service consistent with merit principles.
- Created job or training opportunities that will support and contribute to the advancement of all members, including women and minorities, in the armed services or civilian workforce.
Nomination packages must include the narrative described in the above section along with:
- Citation summarizing the nominee's accomplishments.
- Biography of the nominee.
- A head and shoulder color photograph in JPG format of the nominee.
Nominations must be forwarded as email attachments to Juan Torres no later than May 19, 2021. All nominations will then be sent to BIG for consideration and final selection. The award recipient’s command will be notified by email prior to announcing the information to the workforce. Please email Juan Torres for more information or to ask any questions regarding the BIG Meritorious Service Award, or call (202)-372-4594.
- Civil Rights Awards Program
- National Organization of Blacks In Government website
- 2021 Blacks in Government (BIG) Meritorious Service Award ALCOAST 143/21