An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | June 17, 2021

Frontline Focus

By Janki Patel, MyCG Writer

Welcome home Coast Guard Cutter Stratton: On June 11, the crew of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Stratton (WMSL 752) returned to their homeport following a combined 105-day deployment to Alaska and their biannual shipboard training off the coast of San Diego. The While deployed, they conducted two search and rescue missions preserving lives and protecting property from peril in the Bering Sea. They also collected vital information that will help the Coast Guard shape future deployments, uphold U.S. sovereignty and exercise leadership through an effective presence in the Arctic. “I’m extremely proud of this crew and all they have accomplished,” said Capt. Stephen Adler, Stratton’s commanding officer. “There is a new wave of capabilities designed to match the growing importance of U.S. presence in the Arctic. The crew pressed into this growing mission space with incredible resolve. Harsh Arctic conditions and the ongoing global pandemic regularly tested our mettle, but this crew delivered.” Stratton is one of four 418-foot national security cutters homeported in Alameda, California. Learn more

Promoting Pride: Coast Guard Alaska affinity group advocates for inclusivity in the 49th state. The spring of 2021 has been an especially proud season for the Coast Guard in Anchorage, Alaska. On April 16, members at Sector Anchorage hosted an historic inaugural event at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, establishing the Northern Lights Chapter of Coast Guard Spectrum, an affiliate of the Department of Homeland Security's Spectrum employee association. Within the Coast Guard, this affinity group represents the LGBTQIAP+ community, as well as their friends, family, allies, and advocates. Coast Guard affinity groups promote inclusive and diverse work environments and advocate for innovative changes in the service. “The unique aspect of Coast Guard Spectrum, that sets us apart from other affinity groups, is that our purpose isn’t focused on one singular group of people,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Derek Smith. Read this feature release “Promoting Pride” to learn exactly what Northern Lights Chapter members have been doing in the 49th state, with unwavering support from Coast Guard leadership. 

The U.S. Coast Guard rescues boater taking on water near Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans: On June 12, watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector New Orleans received a distress call from James McGhee who was rescued and transferred to University Medical Center in reportedly fair condition. "Mr. McGhee's access to a VHF radio saved his life," said Cmdr. Brook Serbu, search and rescue mission coordinator at Sector New Orleans. "It is important that all mariners have access to a communication device in case of emergency, and preferably more than one, such as a radio and cell phone." Learn more.

U.S. Coast Guard urges preparedness for 2021 hurricane season: The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30, with the peak occurring between mid-August and late October. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. All boaters should make sure they are ready for the hurricane season and prepare for the worst-case scenario. “It is essential for the safety of you and your family to prepare for a hurricane well before it arrives,” said Capt. Harper Phillips, chief of Incident Management for District Eight. “Being prepared is key during hurricane season.” Learn more about the preparedness tips for this hurricane season.