Did you know that enlisted members can apply to the Coast Guard Academy? If accepted, and upon completion, you’d earn a commission and bachelor’s degree from one of the nation’s five service academies.
To learn more, applying to a two-day program at the Academy, where you’ll learn more about the full academy experience - academics, military instruction, athletics, and cadet life.
Enlisted members interested in the opportunity to enroll in the U.S. Coast Guard Academy are invited to apply to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy Enlisted Select Opportunity Program (AESOP), a two-day familiarization program.
Over the course of two days, members are introduced to a full academy experience to include academics, military instruction, athletics, and cadet life. USCGA graduates earn a Bachelor of Science degree and a commission as an ensign, in the Coast Guard.
The AESOP program will run a virtual and in-person session option. The virtual session will be held Oct. 21 and an in-person event will be held Nov. 8-9, 2021.
The U.S. Coast Guard Academy is located in New London, Conn. CGA will provide travel order numbers (TONOS) for up to 20 enlisted members. Members' home units will issue orders and verify that members have a valid government travel charge card (GTCC) for travel purposes.
To attend the Coast Guard Academy:
- Enlisted members must have started an application to USCGA and completed all portions except submission of recommendation letters and submission of the application itself
- Be unmarried without dependents
- Not reach their 23rd birthday before June 27, 2022
- Demonstrated a responsible use of government travel credit card and/or personal credit
- Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT) scores of 75 or higher with a minimum app review score of 52
- Completed high school or college basic calculus, and either physics or chemistry
Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for the AESOP program, scanned and emailed the following items to Lt. Brad Nelson seven days prior to the start of the program date you wish to attend:
- Command endorsement from member's commanding officer or officer in charge. (in Coast Guard MEMO format);
- Unofficial high school transcript;
- Unofficial transcript(s) of any college credits taken (if applicable);
- AFQT and AR scores;
- Members applying for AESOP must create a profile on the CGA website.
Program selectees will be notified of their acceptance to AESOP via email through the account the member registered their Bears Den account. Members should use an email account that they
regularly monitor (personal or .mil address). For additional information about the United States Coast Guard Academy, visit their website.
Questions should be directed to Lt. Brad Nelson (860) 701-6321 or the Academy command master chief, Master Chief Petty Officer Maria DAngelo (860) 444-8330.