An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | Nov. 22, 2021

Here’s how to access your military records as the Coast Guard transitions to new record management system 

By Chief Warrant Officer Allyson E.T. Conroy, MyCG Staff

The Coast Guard is currently transitioning the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) previously known as the EI-PDR, to its new Human Resource Data Base, the Interactive Personnel Electronics Records Management System (iPERMS). iPERMS will improve Records Management and provide a compliant electronic records management of military human resource records, including permanent and temporary documents for current Coast Guard active duty and reserve members, and veterans who separated or retired after 2006. This transition will also provide Coast Guard members with greater access to their military records with a “GO-Live” scheduled on or about Aug. 23, 2022. 

As the Coast Guard transitions to the new system, you may experience a slight delay in receiving your official military personnel file (OMPF) as PSC military records staff prepares for training on the new system.   

How can you help? 

  • For Board/Panel Candidates: Email your document with the subject line “URGENT: BOARD/PANEL CANDIDATE” to your Servicing Personnel Office (SPO) or Personnel Administration office (P&A). That office will then email that documentation to have it uploaded into your military record. It is highly recommended that you clearly communicate with SPO or P&A your board or panel status. You should also request that you are copied on the forwarding email so that you can keep track of your documentation.  

  • Downloading your OMPF: There are multiple ways that you can download your OMPF. You may reach out to your SPO, and in some areas your P&A requesting a downloaded copy. Officers may request an appointment with OPM-4 and RPM-2 counselors who can also go through the OMPF with you. These counselors can also advise you of any documents that should be updated or submitted specific to boards or panels.  

  • If you need to access your military record, please visit the military records website

What to do in case of a delay. 

If you have not received a downloaded copy of your OMPF within 30 days of your request, please email Mike Lemorie, the military records supervisor, and include your original email requesting your OMPF.  

Please keep in mind that due to personal identifiable information (PII) OMPFs are generally sent using the DoD Safe Secure File Transfer platform. You should keep an eye on all of your mailboxes since automated messages can be filtered to junk or spam folders. 

When is the best time to review my OMPF? 

If you expect to go in front of a board or panel, you should review your OMPF at least three months before that panel or board convenes. From there, you should work with your SPO or P&A for any follow on upload requests. 

Commands are reminded to adhere to all OER and EER submission timelines to ensure members are not adversely affected by incomplete records.  


  • Personnel Service Center - Business Operations Division, USCG Military Records Section website