An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | Jan. 14, 2022

Civilian employee pay increases in 2022

Federal employees will see a pay increase in their 2022 paychecks. Executive Order 14061 implements a 2.2 percent across-the-board increase for statutory pay systems. This is a combination of the base 2.2 percent and a locality of approximately 0.5 percent, for an overall average pay increase of 2.7 percent. The general increase applies to the GS, GM, AL (Administrative Law Judges), and AD (Coast Guard Academy Faculty Administratively Determined) statutory pay systems and plans.

The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) published new GS pay tables, which included the across-the-board increase. This increase was made effective January 2, 2022, and employees will see the change reflected in pay period one, official pay date of Jan. 27, 2022.

The new SES/SL salary range is $135,468 - $203,700. SES performance based pay adjustments were effective on Jan. 2, 2022, with an official pay date of Jan. 27, 2022.

Pay increase for federal wage system employees 

OPM issued a memorandum in late December regarding increases for prevailing rate (wage) employees in the 2022 fiscal year. The OPM memo provides that pay increases for certain prevailing rate employees in FY 2022 may not exceed 2.9 percent (the sum of the January 2022 General Schedule (GS) across-the-board percentage adjustment and the difference between the overall average percentage locality payments for GS employees in FY 2021 and FY 2022).

These 2022 fiscal year pay adjustments apply to employees under the WG, WL, WN, WS, and WD pay plans.

The Department of Defense (DoD), the lead agency responsible for issuing prevailing rate wage schedules, will issue FY 2022 wage schedules. Wage schedules are linked to a geographic wage area and each schedule has a different effective date. Once issued, new wage schedules and their respective effective dates, may be obtained from the Department of Defense Wage website. 

Contact your servicing human resources specialist if you have any questions regarding the 2022 pay adjustments.