R 251754Z JAN 22
FM COMCOGARD PSC WASHINGTON DC
25 JAN 22
SUBJ: AWARD OF THE HUMANITARIAN SERVICE MEDAL FOR HAITI EARTHQUAKE RELIEF OPERATIONS
A. DOD MEMO FOR COMMANDER, U.S. SOUTHERN COMMAND DTD 1 DEC 2021
B. MILITARY MEDALS AND AWARDS MANUAL, COMDTINST M1650.25 (SERIES)
1. Reference (A) authorizes the Humanitarian Service Medal (HSM) to qualifying personnel who directly participated in the humanitarian assistance and disaster relief support provided to the people of Haiti following a devastating earthquake on 14 August 2021.
A. The area of eligibility (AOE) for the Coast Guard is designated as the Joint Task Force Haiti Joint Operations Area (Haiti and 12 nautical miles per the national maritime boundary).
B. Members who were physically present in the Joint Task Force Haiti Joint Operations Area and provided direct humanitarian assistance during the period 15 August 2021 to 5 September 2021.
3. Per Reference (B), personnel specifically excluded from eligibility are members not within the immediate area of operation or who were assigned to the location, but did not make a direct contribution to, nor influenced the action.
4. Verification and Authorization:
A. The first O-6 or above in the member's chain of command may direct the issuance of the HSM to service members under their command.
B. Commands must verify that members recommended for the HSM meet eligibility criteria listed above and shall maintain appropriate documentation substantiating the issuance. A CG-1650 is not required and commands may utilize existing internal administrative review processes in vetting eligibility determinations.
5. Additional criteria for this award are provided in Chapter 5 of Reference (B). No person will be entitled to more than one award of the HSM for participation in the same humanitarian operation. For individuals who have previously earned the HSM, a 3/16-inch bronze star will be awarded to indicate a subsequent award or a 3/16-inch silver star to denote five bronze stars(sixth award). Award of the HSM to an individual does not preclude that member from being recognized with an additional personal award. Civilian personnel are not eligible to receive the Humanitarian Service Medal.
6. Direct Access (DA) entries can be made at the unit level once the verification/approval process is complete. (The Issue Date for Direct Access entry is: 1 December 2021; The Grantor for Direct Access entry is: COMDT/Ref: (this ALCGPSC i.e.: "ALCGPSC 015/22").
7. Units may procure Humanitarian Service Medals and ribbons for first-time awardees through the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Information needed for order: Humanitarian Service Medal, NSN: 8455-01-063-4674, Unit of Issue - EA, Source (stock point) -SMS (Note: This is a change from the source of supply listed in Reference (B)); Humanitarian Service Medal Ribbon, NSN: 8455-01-093-2839, Unit of Issue - EA, Source (stock point) - SMS.
8. This award will be included in a future update to Reference (B).
9. All questions should be directed to CG PSC-PSD-ma at: ARL.Medals@uscg.mil.
10. RDML S. N. Gilreath, Commander, CG Personnel Service Center, sends.
The Service Center for Our Most Important Resource - Our People.
11. Internet Release Is Authorized.