An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | Aug. 15, 2023

Defense Services Division can assist servicemembers facing disciplinary proceedings or adverse administrative actions

By U.S. Coast Guard Defense Services Division (CG-LAD-D)

Coast Guard members who need information about their rights when facing disciplinary proceedings or adverse administrative actions can contact the Coast Guard Defense Services Division (CG-LAD-D).  

CG-LAD-D is a separate entity from traditional Coast Guard legal offices and provides qualified military defense counsel to members in need. 

“If you think you may need to speak with an attorney, it is best to make an appointment as soon as possible to fully understand your rights,” said Cmdr. Jennifer Saviano, Chief of CG-LAD-D.  

The Coast Guard partners with the U.S. Navy’s Defense Service Offices (DSOs) to provide our members with the best possible advice and counsel. Coast Guard defense attorneys are assigned to each Navy DSO region and these DSOs communicate with CG-LAD-D to remain current on Coast Guard-specific matters.  

Military defense counsel can provide confidential assistance and legal advice on a variety of topics including but not limited to:  

  • Courts-Martial 
  • Investigation rights (administrative/Coast Guard Investigative Service). 
  • Non-judicial punishment. 
  • Administrative separations. 
  • Line-of-duty determinations. 
  • Article 138 complaints.  

When consulting with a DSO attorney, whether you are talking to a Coast Guard or Navy defense counsel, you are working with an expert fully qualified to provide legal advice and answer any military justice question you may have. 

To reach a military defense attorney near you, visit the Navy's Defense Service Office (DSO) Locator.  

  • Locate the section titled “Looking for legal services?.”  
  • Click the drop-down menu under “I am seeking services for... .” 
  • Select “Defense Attorney.” 
  • Click the drop-down menu under “Located in … .” 
  • Select the state where you are located. 
  • Click the “Find” button.  

For more information, including a more robust list of services, please check out the following additional resources: 

If you are looking for specific legal advice on a civil law issue, such as a power of attorney, will drafting, estate planning, or landlord/tenant concerns, please reach out to your assigned legal assistance attorney