An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | April 5, 2021

The Joint Services Transcript could help make a civilian career and college degree more attainable 

By Janki Patel, MyCG Writer

Military members can transfer Joint Service Transcript credits – credits earned during basic training or your service – to accelerate a college degree.   

The Joint Service Transcript (JST) calculates military experience toward college credits, and translates the technical jargon of a military career, into corporate language.  

The JST provides a summary of transferrable skills, into a set number of academic credits. This summary may help prospective employers make connections with your military background.  

You could be closer than you think to earning a degree based on your time spent in boot camp, A- and C-schools or other courses. When pursuing a degree program, your military experience could count towards actual course credits, saving time and money over the course of obtaining a degree.  

 “I personally had no idea how many credits I had until our education officer printed off everyone’s transcript,” said a community member from Coast Guard IdeaScale. 

The JST is available to active duty, reserve duty, or veteran military members in all five of the military service branches. The JST has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS), and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). 

Follow these steps to obtain and access your JST and order an official transcript

  • Register for a JST account. 
  • Click on the “Transcripts” link and view, print or save your unofficial transcripts. 
  • You can also click on “Official Transcript Request” and complete the form to have your official transcripts sent to your desired institution at no cost. 

Still searching for more information on accessing your JST? Contact