Along with the other challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic the process of finding a house to rent or buy has become more difficult in many parts of the country. In order to help those members completing a permanent change of station (PCS) move during this stressed housing market, the TLE authorization in the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) has been revised. This revision includes a new process for the services to request an extension of TLE in areas experiencing housing shortages from 10 days (current standard) to up to 60 days.
This change is not a blanket approval and is designed to be responsive and scalable based on current trends in specific housing areas. This JTR change is not retroactive for any expenses incurred prior to Aug. 25, 2021.
Local commanding officers (CO) or officers-in-charge (OIC) in conjunction with their local housing offices that are aware of severe housing shortages in their area of responsibility (AOR) and have members inbound or currently still searching for housing will be required to provide documentation to the Coast Guard’s Office of Military Personnel Policy (CG-133). The request must be coordinated with the other military services that have members stationed in that military housing area (MHA) or county cost group (CCG). The unit’s CO/OIC requesting an increase in TLE must certify with the local housing office that the TLE data request is correct by electronically signing and emailing the document. Please note the CO/OIC, in conjunction with local housing offices, are the only authorized submitters for these extension requests to CG-133. Unit CO/OIC will sign form in the “Installation Commander” block.
The required form “TLE Extension Request”, along with instructions can be found at this website.
As well as on the Coast Guard Coronavirus website.
After the TLE extension request is validated by CG-133, it will be transmitted to the Department of Defense Per Diem Committee for final consideration.
- Commands in areas with a severe housing shortage with incoming personnel may submit a request for consideration to CG-133. Requests must be processed with local administration office and/or the housing office input.
- Email completed forms to CG-133.
- CG-133 will submit all validated TLE extension requests to the Per Diem Committee for review and subsequent joint uniformed services vote. The approval process for these requests will be expedited.
- Commands will be notified as quickly as possible of TLE extension area approvals. All TLE extensions will only be valid for one year for reporting personnel only. Departing personnel are not subject to the extension authorization at the old permanent duty station.
- CG-133 will maintain a list of all changes and update the TLE Extension areas via the following link.
As well on the Coast Guard Coronavirus website.
The headquarters websites will list the authorized area, number of extended days, and expiration date.
Members transferring to an area already approved for a TLE extension will have that approval indicated on their PCS orders.