An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | July 12, 2022

Expansion of government travel card use for PCS season

By MyCG Staff

You can now use your government travel card to move your personal household goods.  

Members who will PCS before October 2022 and currently do not possess a government travel card are strongly encouraged to apply for one as soon as possible to allow for this option. 

Members electing personal procured moves (PPMS) are encouraged to request advanced payment amount equal to 60% of the PPM monetary allowance as authorized, while the GTCC is authorized to cover the remaining 40% of PPM monetary allowance subject to the following conditions: 

  1. Applicable to members in receipt of PCS orders to/from all 50 states. 
  2. Members requesting a PPM must receive counseling from their local Transportation Office (TO) in conjunction with their Personnel and Administration (P&A) office. 
  3. The maximum allowance authorized on the GTCC is 40% of the monetary allowance on the authorized PPM.  Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) also remains ready to assist any members with a loan to cover the remaining costs if they do not possess a GTCC.  
  4. The GTCC shall not be used to obtain, arrange for, or pay for short-term storage in transit (SIT), long-term non-temporary storage (NTS), any government reimbursable storage of HHG, or shipment of any vehicle. 

Reimbursable eligible/allowable expenses while performing a PPM move: 

  • Rental: trucks, trailers, hand/appliance dollies, furniture pads 
  • Weighing fees/cost for weight tickets  
  • Authorized moving company services  
  • Tolls (only on rental trucks) 
  • Packing/crating materials (non-reusable items) 
  • Rented blanket wraps 
  • Gas (rental trucks only, receipts required) 
  • Boxes (no totes) 
  • Shipping containers: e.g., Pods, when used for transporting HHG only and not for storage 

Payment for rental vehicles/trailers has to be supported by rental contract.  Trailers owned by the service member are not reimbursable.  Eligible/allowable expenses are deducted from the incentive payment to determine financial profit for tax purposes.  Members should direct all questions about eligible expenses to their local transportation office. 

Avoiding GTCC Delinquency: Members performing a PPM must be placed in a Mission Critical (MC) status while traveling to their new PDS.   MC status protects the member from any payments being due on the GTCC until 30 days after MC expiration. 

To be placed in MC status members must make a request through their unit Travel Manager.  Unit Travel Managers will forward the request to the GTCC Program Manager for approval.  Members may request up to 90 days of MC. 

  1. The GTCC Program Manager will add a temporary Merchant Category  
  2. Code Group (MCCG) so that eligible expenses are not declined. 
  3. Failure to place an account into MC may result in a past due or delinquent status. 
  4. Individual cardholders are responsible for timely payment of their GTCC balance. 
  5. Account delinquency may adversely impact the member’s career, assignability, security clearance and/or credit history. 
  6. Accounts become past due 31 days after checking into your new PDS. On day 61, the GTCC is suspended, on Day 75, the cardholder is charged a $29.00 per month late fee. On day 126, the member is submitted for enrollment in Salary Offset and on day 211, Citibank may charge off the debt, which will impact the cardholder's credit. 

Applicability: This policy does not apply to accession, separation, or retirement travel.  Additionally, this policy does not apply to PCS travel for civilian personnel, Selected Reserve members, or Individual  
Ready Reserve members as these populations do not use the same order writing and outbound interview processes. 

GTCC Travel Managers may direct questions to Mr. Michael Duchossois at 703-254-7175 or