An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | Feb. 27, 2023

New law allows Coast Guard spouses to transfer job licenses 

By Zach Shapiro, MyCG Writer 

President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. signed the Veterans Auto and Education Improvement Act, on Jan. 5, which introduces an important benefit to military spouses. States are now required to recognize military members and spouses’ professional licenses from other states if they had a permanent change of station (PCS) to another state—except for law licenses. 
A 2019 Department of Defense (DOD) study revealed that 20 percent of active duty spouses who relocated due to PCS and who acquired a new professional license took 10 months or more to obtain a new professional license. The new law aims to decrease barriers and improve quality of life for the workforce and their families. 
It is important to note that “this new act does not replace or diminish the Spouse License Reimbursement Program (SLRP),” said Jeremy Bruner, Military Pay and Allowance Policy team lead in the Office of Military Personnel Policy (CG-133). That program “provides an avenue for members to submit a claim for reimbursement up to $1,000 for licensing or transfer of licensing from one area to another in conjunction with PCS orders” through Dec. 31, 2024, he added. 
Servicemembers and their spouses who have moved due to a PCS and who wish to have their professional license honored in a new state must submit a copy of the member’s PCS orders to the relevant licensing board, along with documentation to verify that the individual remains in good standing and is compliant with any continuing education requirements.  Licenses are only covered by this law if they have been actively used during the two years immediately preceding the relocation.  
Bruner emphasized that eligible members should take advantage of the SLRP. If military spouses incur expenses due to professional license transfers, they may be able to offset that cost through the SLRP. 
If you have any questions, please contact the Compensation Division (CG-1332)