An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

My Coast Guard
Commentary | Aug. 18, 2022

Select Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) extensions announced

By Zach Shapiro, MyCG Writer

Completing a permanent change of station (PCS) can be stressful in the face of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the unstable housing market. That’s why the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) temporary lodging expense (TLE) request process was extended last year for up to 60 days for military housing areas (MHA) with severe housing shortages. That extension remains in place.

Commands should start the extended TLE request process early in conjunction with the local housing officer verifying the Military Housing Area has critical housing shortage. Unfortunately, economic hardship including insufficient basic allowance for housing (BAH) is not a valid justification for a TLE extension request.

How to request a TLE extension

Only commands may request a TLE extension for incoming members, and commands must be highly attuned to the housing markets within their MHA. “The housing officer for each area is the person [who] is the main touchpoint for housing availability,” said Webb Moore, chief of Military Compensation for the U.S. Coast Guard (CG-1332).

To request a TLE extension due to a shortage of military housing within their area, commands should work with the local housing officer to forward the required documentation to the Coast Guard’s Military Pay and Compensation Division (CG-1332). The housing officer must show the housing availability per grade and rank for that area. “The housing officer validates housing availability by anchor point for each rank, with and without dependents," Moore explained. Housing officers will also need to provide the number of members who are inbound during the requested period.

Commands will submit completed TLE extension request forms, supporting documentation, and other relevant information to COMDT (CG-1332).

“The most critical part of this is the housing officer and command submitting complete and correct paperwork, because incomplete information may cause substantial delays,” said Moore.

Once CG-1332 reviews the requests, they will forward them to the Department of Defense (DoD) Service Mission Action Plan (MAP) Representatives and then on to the Per Diem, Travel, and Transportation Allowance Committee (PDTATAC) for review. CG-1332 will then communicate PDTATAC’s final decision back to the applicant.


  • For more information on the request process, please see ALCOAST 301/22.
  • To view approved TLE extensions, please see CG-1332’s webpage.
  • The required TLE Extension Request form and instructions can be found here.
  • If you have any additional questions, please email CG-1332 here.

In the News